Friday, March 14, 2008

To Cut or Not to Cut - A Philisophical Play in Two Parts

Act One: First Scene

At this point, Shakespeare is rolling in his grave. There have been many twists (both comical and idiotic) to the classical Shakespearean "To Be or Not to Be...THAT is the Question!" For my original purposes, I am again slaughtering this well known phrase. In classic brookian philosophy, the great question is not about being, but about cutting. My very small and very wise niece informed me that my hair had simply grown too long, and the most logical way to fix this most terrible problem would be to chop it off. She happily displayed her own recently shorn locks, presumably as an example to make me feel guilty over my longer ones. I am lost in a sea of kind and philanthropic friends who have forgone the pleasures of long hair, to donate to "Locks of Love." These self-sacrificing girls almost make me feel twinges of guilt over my hair. This is preposterous! ;o) In this culture of mixed up genders; with women trying to be president and men trying to be cosmetic models, someone has to be unabashedly feminine. (I don't know who is going to be unabashedly masculine though. I personally know some, but the numbers are growing disconcertedly smaller every year.) Now, I'm not trying to say that every girl has to have long hair. Actually, some girls look really nice in shorter hair, but for my own personal decision, I am choosing to keep my hair long. So my friends, "To Cut or Not to Cut" is now a question directed at you. Why do you have long / short hair?? Explain yourselves!! ;o)

Act One: Second Scene

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more



Does anyone besides Bethany R., Joanna R., Lael H., Hannah H. and the occasional Elizabeth S. ever read my blog?? It makes me wonder, because the "ClustrMap" shows visitors from all over, yet very few comment. That leads me to believe that a) This blog is considered unworthy to comment on by the aristocratic blogging world, b) People are scared of me, or c) There are just a lot of creepy Internet people reading this blog.

Please let me know. This could be an educational experience. ;o) By the way, "Lurkers" disgust me. FYI: A lurker is one who reads a blog, but never shows their prescence. This is weird behavior and usually requires counselling sessions. Just kidding. ;o) Don't be shy, just comment. Commenting isn't difficult. Here's a few examples:
  1. Hi! My name is Bobbie-Jo Bobkins from Bolingbroke, Butternut County. I like the letter B, and that's why I like your blog. I am giving you a thumbs up. OH!! Wait!! I just realized that you couldn't see my hand!! Tootles!
  2. Hey! Your blog is weird. I just wanted to let you know. Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but that's okay too. Do you like Peanut Butter? ~Timmy Tarter
  3. You wrote a post on hair?? I love hair too! Your blog is cool. I just wanted to let you know. ~ Ima Fibbing
  4. Hair is such a lame topic to write about. ~Nate Noname
  5. Shakespearian works display the originality of an eloquent mind full of wondrous ruminations. ~Gertrude Cloppinghop

Have a jolly day!

Tootles! ~Brooke

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right, Brooke, you win! I admit it...I've been a "lurker" for a quite a while! I can't BEAR to "disgust" you any longer! :P "Angels and ministers of grace defend us!!!" I FOUND you through Jonathan Becker's blog (soldier in Iraq) first and then again through ModesTeen (the pledge).

I live in Southern California. I love hair. I presently have medium-length, layered hair, because I wanted a change from 3-feet-long hair after about 7-8 years. I like the variety in how my hair turns out each day...I never know! ;-) I still love long hair, though!

As for YOU, young lady, do NOT feel guilty for not donating after every shearing...that's an ORDER! ;-) I know the feeling...but don't let it get to you! You do enough good in this world by being you, and you don't have to donate to every single good charity! Instead, "Cry havoc! And let stay your locks of hair!" That was BAD! ;P I also like a bit of Shakespeare!

Well, that's a tad about me! Tootles to you too! ;-) God bless!

Shalom,

Sydney :-) ;-) =)

P.S. I've been eagerly waiting to hear an update on your parents...I've been praying for y'all. Sooo...how are they?

leighak said...

Miss Brooke, I'm a reader of your blog, and have commented lately too! :) So sweet little Miss Gracie was trying to convince you to cut your hair was she?! :) I wasn't aware of this. Well, you know my opinion... I don't think you should cut it, but I don't think you should let it get as long as the hair you were marveling about the other day... but that's just my opinion... and it's your hair, so if you want to let it grow longer, then let it. Or keep it wear it's at... give it a healthy inch or two trim once in a while and it'll be good to go! :) Regardless of the length of your hair and whether I like it or not, does not matter, as your sister I love you just the same. :) I can't help but smile each time I read your blog, I just love your verbage! :) Love Leigha K

Northwest Dweller... said...

Hi Sydney! It's great to meet you!! That's funny how you found me! You sound so sweet and fun! Isn't it exciting being known? Now I know who you are and since you commented, you are no longer a blog lurker, but a revered reader! ;o) Hey, your Shakespear was really good.:) And yes, about my dear parents, an update is coming soon, so stay tuned!!
Have a jolly day and God bless!

~Brooke

P.S. Yes Leigha, I saw your comment too, but there is no need to be lengthy about my reply to you, because I am going to talk to you on the 'phone soon. :O)

Our journey said...

Brooke,
Just came across your family's Christmas letter and remembered you had a blog, so I checked you out!

You are growing up into such an amazing young woman. I look forward to checking back in and seeing what you are up to.

Jason & Amy Goldsby

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke! It's very nice to meet you too! :-) I guess it is kind of exciting being 'known,' but nothing can beat being a "revered reader!" :-)

Thanks for the compliment...you sound very sweet and fun too. I'd love to get to know you better, if that's OK with you. :-)

Happy Good Friday and Happy Resurrection Day to you and yours! God bless!

Shalom,

Sydney :-) ;-) =)

In This World of Wonders said...

Hi there Brooke! I found you when I clicked on one of my interests. I'm pretty new here on blogspot and it was amazing to find you - the first one on the list, a christian and devoted Jane Austen reader, just like my own humble person... ;)

About hair... I like long hair! It's close to heartbreaking every time my Mum cuts the ends off (well, not quite, but she is often pretty radical about it... :))
But I think it depends. Some people look great with very long hair, while others look better with shoulder-length etc etc :)

Lots of love,
Hannah

SamanthaMarie said...

So, personally I was sitting here deciding whether or not to comment, because I JUST stumbled upon your blog today, after finding in on ModesTeen. And then I decided to go for it, because what do I have to lose? :) Plus you live in the northwest, and so do I! I thought that was pretty neat-o! :D

My name is Samantha and I am crazy! (: I use smilies entirely too much ;) but I think they are the best way to show what I'm feeling when I'm typing something, since you can't see my face :D

I am growing my hair out to be long, because I'll admit, it makes me feel more feminine. But, I've also had short hair for some years now and just needed a change. Hair is fantastic, mine is pretty thin, so that makes me kind of sad, but I have since gotten over that ;)

So you should not feel bad what-so-ever about having long hair. Besides, maybe one day you will want a change and then that one day you can donate your hair to locks of love. There will never not be a need for that! (:

Well. For now I must be off and do some homework before going to work. I hope you are having a lovely day, and that God is blessing the pants off of you! :)

-Samantha