Friday, August 1, 2008

To Tennessee and Back Again...The Tale of Brooklyn's Travels - Part Two

The woman next to me introduced herself and continued to chat away. "Isn't it wonderful that only two of us are here on this row...there is so much more room this way" and other comments helped ease my nervousness. She was such a kind lady, and sympathized with the fact that I was leaving my family for two months. Joy proceeded to tell me about her family and her two children (both boys), and all their interests. It was such a relief to realize that this was a kind woman who wasn't some crazed psychopath! But, when she realized that her youngest son and I were about the same age, she began directing more and more of her conversation in his direction. It soon became apparent that this mama was 'daughter-in-law shopping' and that became slightly disturbing until I was able to divert the conversation.

Note of warning: stay away from nice mothers who have eligible sons. It can be dangerous out there. Anyway, back to my story...

The flight was long and uneventful, and I snapped pictures at an amazing rate. My chatty companion didn't leave me much time to devour "Uncle Tom's Cabin", so the entire flight was punctuated with interesting remarks like, "Oh, these Oreo snacks are so good. You must try some. I had some on my other flight and they were really good. By the way, do you like soccer? My youngest boy is very athletic.." Here there was need for diversion so I remarked: "Did you see that interesting mountain back there? Here's a picture of it!" and "I have to use the restroom, will I die if I stand up and walk there?"

Oh dear, that was a bad decision on some one's part. Of course certain well meaning engineers designed airplane aisles to be about 6 inches wide, so of course unsuspecting passengers trying to walk somewhere will incidentally collide with certain grumpy travelers elbows. This situation can turn serious when the aforementioned grumpy traveler happened to be holding a cup of water in the hand attached to the elbow that was bumped. To top it off, when you apologize, the now irate traveler's wife will invariably shout "Of course he's not alright!! Just look at him! He's all wet!"

At least the flight attendant understood my plight and handed me napkins, which I in turn handed to the grumpy traveler's wife who was attempting to dry poor Herman's lap. Anyway, Herman and his wife continued to sizzle as I passed them on my return trip, and the glares scorched the very deeps of my soul. Dear Joy, inquisitive as ever, remarked "What happened back there?" I wearily related the events and she calmly berated them as 'creeps who could have for seen these events by keeping their elbows to themselves.' Since she was in an aisle seat, she kept me updated on how they appeared to be feeling. At this moment, the intercom system came on and told us to keep our seat belts fastened. The plane began to shake, and looking out the window, all I could see was fluffy swirling whiteness.


To Be Continued...Stay Tuned...This Could Take Awhile...Check Back Soon!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I've heard of those kinds of Mommas...haven't come in contact with too many though...at least, not lately. :P I'll remember your wise advice next time such a situation arises. ;-)

Sounds like the first leg of your trip was a 'little eventful,' to say the least. Accidents happen. Oh, well. ;-)

Thanks for sharing your tale...looking forward to Part 3.

Shalom! :)

Bethany said...

Can't say I have ever met the type of mothers that you mentioned, don't think I would like to either.
I felt sorry for you when I read the story about Herman. Don't worry I would probably have accidently stepped on hid foot and broken it. I have a tendency to get into a scrape even when the plane aisle isn't 6 inches wides.

I'll stay tuned.

Hope you're having a lovely day.

Love,

Bethany

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Sounds like lots of excitement on this journey. Looking forward to Part 3.

Lea

Anonymous said...

Don't you think it's soon??? :-)

Shalom! :-)