Monday, October 15, 2007

Thoughts From The Stump

Lonely. Forsaken. That's kind of how I felt yesterday. My Grandma died on September 29, and shortly before that my dad broke his hand; meaning he can't work. So, life has not been an unending source of joy for me lately. But, God has been teaching me that my joy doesn't come from life, but from Him. The Lord is really using this time to stretch me, to teach me to depend on Him, and to draw me closer. In the book of Job, Job talks about being refined, and coming forth as gold. It seems that God is trying that approach on me. :o) Well, I was sitting on a stump in the woods behind our house, vainly trying to memorize scripture and a poem I have been working on. I was kind of low in spirits, because it seemed that no one really cared about me, or wanted to spend time with me. Now, that totally isn't true, but that's the road I let myself wander down. While I was sitting on the stump wallowing in self pity, a thought entered my mind. It was something like "Maybe I could derive some joy if I start thanking God." I mentally noted all the things that I could be thankful for ie; my family, my friends I had seen earlier that day, my books, God's word etc. Amazingly it picked me out of the pit, and God began to speak to me. " For I know my Redeemer lives, and that on the earth again shall stand. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, I will behold Him and not another. O how my heart yearns within me. Job 19:25-27

Oh, that verse was my life line for the rest of the day! God is so amazing. My heart started overflowing with the goodness of God, as verse after verse came to my mind, reminding me of the love of Christ, the goodness of my Heavenly Father.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke --

I think you are very much on the right track in deriving joy from your focus on God, and thanking Him for His many gifts.

Many of the most extravagant gifts that God has given to me have immediately followed times when I felt abandoned by God. I have learned to trust His hand and His heart, over time, even though I am a bit of a slow learner.